A couple of weeks ago we launched a new version of our registration and account activation pages. These are the pages you see when you set up a Cleartrip Account. If you don’t already have one, we highly recommend you sign up right-away.
Here are the earlier registration and activation pages for your reference:
To us, these pages left a lot to be desired–our biggest concern was that the design was failing to adequately communicate the power and convenience that comes with a Cleartrip Account. We’ve worked incredibly hard to pack the Cleartrip Account with great features to make trip management easy for our customers, and we wanted these features to be effectively communicated. The welcome screen had its own set of problems–it wasn’t the friendliest reception to your new account. So, we went about redesigning these pages and this is what the new registration page looks like:
We’re happy with the new design. The communication is crisper and bolder; and the new design has improved focus on the task at hand. The account features area on the right is higher impact with the use of large visuals to communicate the benefits of a Cleartrip Account. We packaged what we believe are the five most useful features of the Cleartrip Account into a slideshow:
- All your bookings–past, present and upcoming–in one place, on desktop or laptop computers and mobile devices
- Trip tools–sharing trip details by email or sms with co-travellers or friends; printing invoices and tickets; checking-in and picking seats before flying; entering frequent flyer numbers and other preferences; cancelling tickets – it’s all in your Account
- Your travel itineraries in a calendar–you can see your trips in a calendar within your Account, or on your favourite calendar application (iCal, Google Calendar, Outlook etc.) – on your computer or mobile device
- Express Checkout–make your booking and payment with a single click for flights or trains from your mobile device, with no need to enter your name or payment details
- Your Cleartrip Profile–save your name and contact details in your profile and we’ll prefill them for you when you book
Want a Cleartrip Account already? Sign up now »
We then turned our attention to the password setting and welcome screens. We decided to combine these and take a friendlier approach, handholding the user through the account activation steps. This is what we came up with:
The three step process lets you set a password, save your name and your contact details in your Cleartrip Profile, so you don’t have to keep retyping it for all your future bookings.
In addition to the registration and activation-specific goals we had, there was one more thing we wanted to address with this redesign. It’s been almost five years since we launched and our design has mostly conformed to our original aesthetic and styling. We wanted this redesign to introduce a new design language and visual aesthetic. These pages provide a peek into the new direction we’re taking.
We’re introducing new elements like image-less buttons that take advantage of CSS3 to reduce page weight and provide better feedback to users (more about these later). We’re using CSS3 techniques where we used images earlier–gradients, rounded corners and non-standard fonts. We know that in the not-too-distant future, many visitors will use newer devices, like tablet PCs. We want to ensure our new designs work well on a wide range of devices. Modern browsers are pushing support for HTML5 and we want to ride that wave to ensure we provide the absolute best user experiences for our customers. You’ll see these new directions gradually make their way onto various areas of the site – stay tuned, we’ll keep you posted.
We’d love to hear what you have to say about our new design direction and the account activation flow. Feel free to chime in via the comments.